Professor Elizabeth Guffey, founding editor-in-chief of Design and Culture, has announced her intention to step down as the journal’s editor by June, 2018. As a result, the Design Studies Forum and Taylor and Francis/Routledge are initiating a search for a new editor or co-editors of the journal.
Deadline for applications is January 31, 2018.
Design and Culture, the journal of the Design Studies Forum, is an international journal showcasing rigorous and innovative critical frameworks for exploring “design” as a cultural phenomenon today. In-depth essays analyse contemporary design, as well as its discourse and representations. Covering a field that is increasingly interdisciplinary, Design and Culture probes design’s relation to other academic disciplines, including marketing, management, cultural studies, anthropology, material culture, geography, visual culture and political economy. As a forum for critique, the journal features a substantial reviews section in each issue.
Desirable qualifications for the position of editor or co-editor include:
- A significant record of publications, international reputation, and strong personal network within the field of design studies
- The vision and energy to advance the journal's prestige and impact within the field
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, in order to solicit high-quality submissions from authors, and to foster positive working relationships with other members of the editorial team
- strong organizational skills, to ensure that submissions are handled in a timely manner
The successful candidate(s) will be responsible for identifying suitable peer reviewers, making publication decisions about submissions following peer review, and exerting editorial oversight over the content and style of the journal. He or she will ensure that reviewers and authors adhere to the Journal’s Code of Publishing Ethics. To ensure a seamless transition, the outgoing editor-in-chief will work with the incoming editor(s) during an agreed handover period.
Taylor & Francis will provide remuneration for the role to cover any journal-related expenses. The Journal’s board will also organise regular board meetings; the Publisher will supply annual reports reflecting on the performance of the Journal. The Journal currently utilises its own online editorial office system. The publisher has the resources to build, maintain and provide training on a new system, as is appropriate. This can be discussed with the new editor or co-editors following their appointment.
Submitting your Application
Application materials should include a cover letter, a CV, and a vision statement. The vision statement should be no longer than two pages and should address:
- Where you believe the field is going, and the journal’s place within it
- How you would maintain and increase the quality of submissions
- How you have worked previously with authors (academics and practitioners) in order to shape and hone their writing
- How you would work in partnership with the editorial board
- Key topics for special issues
Please indicate clearly in your application whether you are interested in applying for this position as a co-editor and/or sole editor. Please direct applications and questions to the President of the Design Studies Forum, Victoria Pass, (email@example.com) and Taylor & Francis Managing Editor, Erato Basea (Erato.Basea@tandf.co.uk), by January, 31 2018. Please use ‘Design and Culture Call for Editors’ as your email subject line.