Italian Culture, the official journal of the American Association for Italian Studies (AAIS), seeks new Editors for a four-year term, 2019-2023, renewable by mutual agreement between the Editor(s) and the AAIS Executive Committee. In particular, the AAIS seeks General Editor(s) and a Book Review Editor. The Editors will work closely with the AAIS Executive Committee and Taylor & Francis.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday May 15th, 2018
Italian Culture is an international, peer-reviewed journal that publishes high-quality original research and book reviews on all aspects of Italian Studies in English and Italian. The journal currently publishes two issues per year, but may increase in frequency to three issues. The AAIS is interested in General Editors who bring innovative ideas to the journal in respect of special issues; special sections of an issue; interesting new editorial formats; or new approaches for soliciting content covering interdisciplinary approaches to all periods of Italian Studies. Applications from a General Editor Team (2-3 General Editors) will also be considered.
For more information on the journal, please visit www.tandfonline.yitc
Responsibilities of the General Editor(s) include the following:
- Produce at least two issues per year of Italian Culture
- Solicit manuscripts for submission
- Place calls for special sections and special issues
- Manage the peer-review process promptly and professionally
- Coordinate with Taylor & Francis staff on all editorial tasks
- Work with Taylor & Francis on marketing and promoting the journal
- Collaborate closely with the AAIS Executive on issues pertaining to the editing, publication, and distribution of the journal
- Assist the AAIS Executive Committee in identifying and recruiting a Book Review editor
- Assist the current Editor in transitioning the journal to the new Editorial Team during the second half of 2018
Interested in applying?
Applicants should have recognised expertise and an established record of scholarship in Italian Studies, and be actively involved with networks within the field. Key qualities sought for the position of Editor include energy, enthusiasm, managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle, and the ability to meet deadlines and work effectively with a major commercial publisher. We particularly encourage applicants who have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of the four-year appointment, including release time as necessary and general office support.
To apply, please submit the following to Valerio Ferme, President of the AAIS (firstname.lastname@example.org), by May 15th, 2018:
- A letter of intent detailing past editorial, editorial board, or peer review experience (if applicable), publication experience in top-rated journals and presses, and statement of vision for Italian Culture over the next four years. Such a letter should also specify any support the Editor’s (or Editors’, in the case of an Editorial Team) host institution(s) might be able to provide for the journal (course releases, student assistants, office support, etc.)
- A CV (or CVs in the case of an Editorial Team)
- A list of ideas for two potential special sections and two potential special issues, with accompanying brief descriptions (limited to a paragraph each)
- Two references
All applications will be treated as strictly confidential. The AAIS will judge each application on its merits without regard to the race, religion, nationality, gender identity, sexuality, seniority, or institutional affiliation of the candidate.
Please direct all questions or inquiries to members of the Executive Committee as currently comprised (Valerio Ferme, Elena Past, Dana Renga, Monica Seger) via email@example.com.