The Journal for Research on Technology in Education (JRTE) seeks an editor to lead the journal into its 50th year
The Journal of Research on Technology in Education (JRTE) publishes articles that report on original research, project descriptions/evaluations, syntheses of the literature, assessments of the state of the art, and theoretical or conceptual positions that relate to the field of educational technology in teaching and learning and inform P-16 school-based practice.
About the role
The Editor of the Journal of Research on Technology in Education (JRTE) is appointed by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). This appointment, lasting for a period of three years, carries the possibility for renewal for a second three-year term. A yearly stipend plus travel support for the annual ISTE conference will be paid. The Editor reports to the ISTE Managing Editor.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Must have the technical capacity to work in a fully electronic environment and manage submissions and review processes through a web-based platform
- Experience in conducting and writing research, sufficient to enable the individual to solicit and select research that will result in a high-quality publication that addresses the interest of the readership
- Editing experience in publishing or journalism, with ability to quickly assess articles for content, research quality, grammar, and style and to work with authors to ensure JRTE content meets high editorial standards
- Dynamic, self-motivated individual
- Ability to delegate
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to set and meet firm deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Experience with or background in teaching and educational technology
Duties and Responsibilities
- Deliver edited articles for each issue according to previously set deadlines.
- Oversee the refereeing process. Read submitted manuscripts and reject papers that are clearly outside of the scope or quality expectations of the journal. Send manuscripts within the scope to at least two reviewers.
- Correspond in a timely manner with all contributors regarding acceptance, rewriting, or rejection of manuscripts.
- Supervise the editing of manuscripts according to APA Style (including rewriting, reorganizing, validating information in content, etc.).
- Attend the annual ISTE conference, preside over the JRTE Editorial Board Meeting and assist ISTE with promoting the journal at the conference.
- Suggest topics for special issues and work with the Editorial Board and ISTE to plan and produce special issues and supplements.
- Collaborate with ISTE to aggressively encourage the submission of high-quality content according to current issues and interests in the field and maintain and develop positive relationships with authors and potential authors.
- Answer questions and inquiries about the journal.
- Perform other relevant duties as needed.
Qualified applicants can apply by email to the ISTE managing editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications should include:
• A cover letter describing how the applicant’s skills and experience meet the requirements for the position
• A current curriculum vitae
• A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s institution