Applications are invited for two Book Review Editors for the Journal of Spanish Language Teaching starting in December 2018.
The Journal of Spanish Language Teaching is a peer-reviewed journal that provides an international forum for innovative research, methods, materials and theories on the teaching and learning of Spanish as a foreign language. The Journal's main purpose is to create a dialogue between researchers and practitioners worldwide in order to enrich a discipline that is experiencing tremendous growth. There is currently no other academic publication dedicated solely to the teaching and learning of Spanish, which exists in both print and electronic formats, and is global in its reach. Among other databases, the journal is indexed in SCOPUS, the Modern Language Association (MLA), the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), and the European Reference Index for the Humanities and Social Sciences (ERIH PLUS). For more information on the journal, please visit the journal homepage.
The appointment is for two years, renewable subject to mutual agreement. It is envisaged that the successful candidate will start on 1st December 2018.
As a Book Review Editor you will:
• Edit book reviews and ensure that they meet the quality and ethical standards of the journal;
• Liaise actively with authors and with the Editors, communicating with them in English and in Spanish;
• Agree a strategy for the books being reviewed with the Editors;
• Maintain a database of book reviewers;
• Identify subject specialists and solicit book reviews from a diverse range of geographical locations;
• Liaise with the Production Editors;
• Ensure timely and efficient processing of book reviews for each issue;
• Maintain a database of new publications (textbooks, academic volumes on language learning and linguistics, grammars, dictionaries and other) and compile a list for each issue;
• Work with the International Advisory Board and act as an ambassador for the Journal;
• Excellent command of both written and oral English and Spanish;
• A personal portfolio of publications in the field of Spanish Language Teaching;
• Recognised editorial expertise and an established record of scholarship in the field of Spanish;
• Superlative editorial skills, both in English and Spanish;
• An understanding of current challenges for academic journals;
• An understanding of the field of Hispanic Studies worldwide;
• Ability to work effectively within a team and with a major publisher;
• Enthusiasm, organisational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines efficiently.
Please note that this is a voluntary position, and no financial remuneration is available. However, we do offer working with a motivated team of international scholars and a highly rewarding working experience in building a journal with a major impact in the field.
Interested candidates are requested to email a letter of interest in English or Spanish (2 pages maximum) explaining how they meet each of the selection criteria and a CV (4 pages maximum) including relevant editorial experience and publications. Please send your materials before July 17th 2018 to: email@example.com. Please do not contact any of the members of the Editorial Board directly. If you have any questions about the position, please contact the Journal’s email address.
All applications will be treated as strictly confidential. Interviews may be held, and if so, will be conducted at some point in September 2018. Due to the high volume of applications expected, we are unable to provide feedback or to respond to unsuccessful candidates.