The editors of the Journal of Jewish Education are planning a themed issue on Jewish summer camps. We are seeking research on day or residential summer camps that self-identify as Jewish camps. The focus of the research is to be on camps as a Jewish educational resource. The camps may be located in North or South America, Europe or Israel and serve a camper population from between the age range of 5-17. Research on educational staff at camp and camp alumni is also most welcome.
We are interested in papers from a range of disciplinary vantage points including (but not limited to):
- The history of Jewish camps
- Sociological and ethnographic studies of the social and cultural dynamics of camp life.
- Evaluation studies of the educational impact of camp programs
- Analyses of the educational challenges of creating Jewish programming at camp\
- Analyses of the challenges of creating and sustaining Jewishly-committed staff at camp.
Intents should be sent to JournalofJEd@gmail.com are requested by August 15, 2017 and should include the name of the author(s), author contact information and working title.
Authors will be expected to submit their manuscripts by January 1, 2018. Manuscripts should be submitted according to the instructions for Authors available on line at the Journal of Jewish Education website.
Specific questions regarding submissions should be directed to JournalofJEd@gmail.com.