Nowadays, mindfulness and acceptance approaches have been widely recognized and applied to the sport psychology research and practice.
Examples include a variety of books, journal issues and a growing number of individual publications presented as peer-reviewed papers in international renowned sport psychology journals (e.g., Zhang et al., 2016).
Taken together, such examples highlight the urgent need for applied researchers and practitioners to reflect on the mindfulness and acceptance approaches adopted in the psychology services offered to elite performers.
The aim of this new Special Issue is to allow applied researchers and practitioners worldwide to share and reflect on their experiences about mindfulness and acceptance approaches adopted for the performers they work with.
These experiences, working strategies, and protocols include: mindfulness- based, acceptance-based, and self-compassion based interventions.
Authors are encouraged to reflect upon their work as locally influenced and unique.
More specifically, we invite the following types of submissions:
- A well-organized case study;
- Best practices of the mindfulness and acceptance approaches for certain performers;
- Considerations on the methodological or design issues of the mindfulness and acceptance approaches;
- Description of context-specific intervention protocols;
- Evidence-based guidelines regarding the use of mindfulness and acceptance interventions for performance enhancement;
- Reflection of professional philosophies and context-specific intervention strategies and tools.
Articles should be prepared in accordance with the journal's Instructions for Authors (e.g., manuscripts should be between 10 and 12 double-spaced pages in length, excluding tables, figures, and references) and authors must conform to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition.
Authors must select the option “Special Issue: The Application of Mindfulness and Acceptance Approaches to Performers” at the “Article Type” step of the submission process.
Key dates and deadlines
- Submission deadline: manuscripts should be submitted no later than May 31, 2018, via the Journal of Sport Psychology in Action ScholarOne Manuscript submission portal.
- All articles will be peer reviewed and revised no later than November 30, 2018, following the journal's standard processes.
- Final decisions will be made by the journal’s Editor-in-Chief, Ian Maynard. Publication of this Special Issue is projected no later than January 31, 2019.