Routledge is currently seeking an Editor to assume leadership of Museums & Social Issues. Museums & Social Issues focuses on the interaction between compelling social issues and the way that museums respond to, influence, or become engaged with them. The journal responds to dynamic and contemporary topics such as race, immigration, health care, democratic process, and representation by featuring theoretical, philosophical, and practical pieces that discuss museums in relation to a range of contemporary issues. Submissions may include a history of the issue, critical questions, philosophical reflections, theoretical positions, examples of exhibits, programs or initiatives that have addressed issue, and a review or bibliography of pertinent books, websites, exhibits and other resources.
The successful applicants would start by August 2017 in order to transition over any current papers already being processed by the current Editors, with the aim of assuming full responsibilities by January 2018.
This post is for a term of 2 years initially, renewable by mutual consent for further terms, starting in 2017. Please submit applications by 24 April.
Key qualities sought for the position of Editor include an established record of scholarship in the field of museum studies; managerial skills to oversee the editorial cycle and meet deadlines; the ability to recruit quality manuscripts; and the ability to attract respected experts to review manuscripts and serve on the editorial board. Applicants should have previous publishing and reviewing experience; strong organizational, networking, and communication skills; and the ability to lead an active editorial board.
- Manage the peer review of approximately 15-20 manuscripts per year
- Solicit high-quality manuscripts from potential authors
- Assist authors in seeing their manuscripts to publication
- Select reviewers and editorial board members to evaluate manuscripts
- Decide which manuscripts to publish
- Manage the annual outstanding paper award
- Identify and appoint qualified members to the editorial advisory board
- Provide a clear vision for the direction of the journal
For more information read the Editor Guide to Roles and Responsibilities.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org